It’s the week before I leave for Thailand. I depart the country in 5 days and as much as I have been filled with fear in recent weeks, I can now feel the excitement beginning to stir.
This week I am in love with the idea of semi-permanent travel (an idea my friends and family no doubt loathe to hear..). I have no idea what my life will look like in the coming months, but I am excited to find out. And in that vein, here are some of the things I’ve stumbled upon or come back to this week that have lifted my spirits and filled me with excitement.
- This song that makes me laugh not just because it’s so chipper, but because I can imagine my grandma saying exactly that about me and my decision to set off around the world without a plan.
“God help the girl, she needs all the help she can get.”
- This volunteering website that has a searchable database of volunteer opportunities around the globe for little to no money. Are you in between jobs? On a break from college? Or just wanting to take a break from your life and have some meaningful new experiences? Take a gander.
- This video that is just the most perfect thing in the world AND is listed on The Oatmeal, which is a hilarious website, so read that too. That video is not just a entertaining way to spend 4 minutes of your life. It’s the embodiment of an idea that is so important, especially to Westerners plagued by the idea that the rest of the world is a big scary place set to murder us if we leave the comfort of our own homes (hi, grandma).
Sure…I could get murdered in Thailand, or Nepal, or anywhere else in the world. But I could also get hit by a bus walking out my front door (and let’s be honest, that one is far more likely). The star of the video, Matt, is on a mission to prove that the rest of the world isn’t really so bad…in fact, it’s kind of wonderful. And I love that.
- And these two quotes that reinforce that point so well:
One of the great things about travel is that you find out how many good, kind people there are. -Edith Wharton
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable view of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime. -Mark Twain
- The Maptia Manifesto (and in fact, their entire site):
- And all of the theories of Rey’s parentage. Because I may talk a big game about travel and being adventurous…but really i’m just a big nerd who loves me some sci fi. I’d like to think it adds to my charm. …maybe.