It’s the end of my first full week in Thailand, and it has been a hectic, hot, and slightly chaotic transition here. But it has been wonderful. I’ve met some amazing people, seen some incredible sights, and finally gotten a chance to truly relax.
This week I have been in love with dirt cheap Thai street food (omelet and rice for less than 50 cents this morning!), hot afternoons and cool evenings, and walking til my feet are too sore to continue. It’s been a carefree lifestyle this week, and it’s been lovely.
Here’s an odd assortment of other things I’m loving lately:
- This song by Glen Hansard that is beautiful and hopeful and moving, and the video that reminds us how perfect it can be to dance like a fool.
- Catmosphere, the space themed cat cafe here in Chiang Mai that has stolen my heart
- These two covers of Adele’s Hello that are not just incredible, but leave me so impressed by some people’s capacity for creativity. I like to be reminded that we are creatures capable of adding a lot of beauty to this world.
- This quote by Roald Dahl, that really speaks for itself:
If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.
- And I returned this week to one of my favorite poems, Ulysses by Alfred, Lord Tennyson, by which I am perpetually inspired. It’s long but so beautiful. Click here to read the entire thing (which I’d highly recommend). But here are some of my favorite lines:
I cannot rest from travel: I will drink life to the lees
I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro’
Gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades
forever and ever when I move.
How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rest unburnished, not to shine in use!
As tho to breathe were life!
Come, my friends,
Tis not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of western stars, until I die.
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- This week (as well as all others) I especially love my little sister. Tara turned 25 this week. She’s such a grown up!